Friday, September 09, 2005

GELLING UP THE KITCHEN

Like my friend Nancy http://nancytoby.blogspot.com/2005/09/nancys-lemon-iced-tea-sports-gel.html I'm working on developing my own sports energy gel. And drinks, too... I'm rebelling against commercial products.

Anyway, here's my first version. I haven't tried it on a long run or ride yet, but I will tomorrow. (Today is a rest day.) It's a little tart for my taste, so I may make another batch with less lemon powder.

1-1/3 Tbs. powdered lemonade drink mix (64 calories, 16g carbohydrate)
12 Tbs. sugar (yes, 12) (576 calories, 144g carbohydrate)
1 Tbs. cornstarch (30 calories, 7.5g carbohydrate)

Mix together well and stir in 1/2 cup (4 oz, 120mL) water. Microwave on high 1 minute, stir, microwave 45 seconds more.

Add a few drops vanilla extract, stir, cool enough to pour into gel flask.

Yield: 6 fl. oz. (3/4 cup, 180mL) -- a little more than a full gel flask
Per serving (2 tablespoons) -- 110 calories (actually 111.5), 27.5g carbohydrate.

Nancy says hers is easier. Reading it, I have to agree :-) I was thinking of making mine with a base of black or green tea, rather than water, for a little boost of caffeine and antioxidants. Also messing with other flavors (using Kool-Aid powder or Crystal Lite, or just vanilla.)

Like Nancy's, it's less gel-like and more liquid than commercial gels. It's pretty sweet -- you need a good drink of water with it, like commercial gels.

Next time I'm at the store I'll get honey and Karo and try Nancy's mix as well!

No comments: