Tuesday, October 17, 2006

TAPER CAPERS

Well, maybe nothing so fun as capers, but weird stuff, dumb stuff, going-crazy stuff.

For one thing, I seem to have mislaid my brain. This is not anything unusual. I have things I use every day just suddenly disappear from my life. Sometimes I find them. Sometimes I don't. I hope I find my brain. My whoop-de-do job in the campground office requires that I be able to read both print and numbers, and understand how to use a calendar.

I had that dream about missing the race start -- taking my relaxed, no-nerves time and missing it. Telling myself when finally on the way that all those bikes going by must be the pros, who had a head start, and that the age-groupers are still swimming, and I might catch up. I hate that dream. I've had variations of it before marathons.

The other night I had that dream about my teeth falling out.... from what I understand, just about everyone has that dream. It's supposed to have something to do with performance anxiety, "losing face," or something like that. I hate that dream too.

I'm sniffling and sneezing and drinking Airborne. Stretching my ailing shoulder.

Last night I googled for a long time to find the guy I didn't marry in the 1970's and found out he became a Catholic priest.

I am positive that my WHOLE year's training is going to go down the drain in the next 2-and-a-half weeks. And that what training I DO do is going to result in the accident or injury that puts me out of the race.

Slowing down the ass-breaking training makes me feel like I've dropped out of the HUMAN race. I don't feel like myself.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Its called taperitis. Everyone goes through it. Funny about it, my friend at work is tapering for Chicago marathon in the hopes of qualifying for Boston and she's going through exactly the same thing. I really believe from all my years of observation if nothing else that once you stop the high intensity training, you are at loose ends for a while until the event. Then you go through the letdown stage, whether it was a good race or not. So realize you are in good company. Lots of people going through the same thing right now.

Cliff said...

So u stalk your ex on line?..hmm..things to do during taper :D

Fe-lady said...

I periodically have the "teeth falling out" dream also. Someone once told me it was related to a fear of growing older????
Not US! Not us mature, strong, triathlete women...we are just looking forward to the next age group, right? :-)