Wednesday, October 11, 2006

DAY OF REST

From training, anyway. I did work, but only 9 - noon.

I'm glad I'm not training today. I'm tired. My quads are sore. The last 2 days (long bike followed the next day by 20-mile bike and 13-mile run) were my last hurrah before officially tapering. I'm glad. I'm ready for a break.

And already I'm getting taperitis: GACK, my quads are sore after running only 13 miles? A marathon is twice that far!! Well, but I ran the 13 miles after biking 20. H*ll, I'll be running a marathon after biking 112!!! Well, but I'd biked 67 miles the day before. So??? I'll be biking 112!!! After swimming 2-and-a-half miles!!!

I can't do this!!! See, my quads are sore after that little thing I did!! I'll never make it!!

Except, I already made it, last year. And I made the swim and the bike, just last week. And I've run 20 marathons. Or 21. I forget. I'm losing count. It doesn't matter. It shows I can do it. I just need to work up, mostly mentally, to doing it again.

That's what tapering is for, to let my body heal from training, stronger than before, so I can tear it to pieces again on the Ironman course.

~Sigh~

4 comments:

Eddie said...

I'm really proud of you grandma. Keep up the training. You only live one life, and I can only aspire to be as physical as you are when I'm your age.

Press on with your bad self!!

Eddie

Fe-lady said...

You will make it...like you said, you did before and the race will pull you along!
This is so exciting to follow- I wish I was just going to watch all you Iron-people!
Tapers always make me more sore than I am when I am doing high mileage for some quirky reason!

Kurt in Boston said...

Good luck, Ellie! I know you can do it. You know you can do it.

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Cliff said...

U did 21 marathon...right..once u go up that high...it is so easy to lose count.

U are ready.