Wednesday, October 25, 2006

#2526

That's my Ironman Florida race bib number.

Genesis 25:26 describes the birth of Jacob, a twin, who entered the world holding onto the heel of his brother Esau, who was just moments ahead of him.

Joe Friel in Going Long recommends, on the swim, to follow closely on someone's heels and enjoy the draft.

Anyone tracking me on ironmanlive.com, be careful: If you use my last name instead of my bib number, there's also an Eleanor Hamilton. That's not me! I registered as Ellie, so if you enter Hamilton, make sure you select me and not her :-) She's from New Zealand like any other New Zealander, while I have the distinction of being from Accident, Maryland.

We're leaving for Florida tomorrow. This means battening down hatches tonight, preparing our home and all our worldly goods for the 900-mile trip, since it all goes with us. Anything moveable gets tied down, wedged in, duct-taped, or padded. Houseplants go in the shower. Musical instruments go on the bed wrapped in the bedclothes. Annie, the cat, goes in a kitty-carrier on the bed, walled in by pillows. Bookshelves get duct tape swathed across them. The TV's are velcro-strapped in. Dishes have to be put away (at least it happens occasionally, when we move.) Paper towels get a patch of tape so they don't unroll en route. Laptops go on the recliner. The microwave goes on the sofa. The water and sewer hoses get disconnected and stowed. The electricity gets unhooked. The satellite dish comes down and gets stowed inside the trailer. My bike gets dressed up in its nylon-and-lycra cover and secured in the truck bed. Steve backs the truck underneath the 5th-wheel hitch till it latches, we plug in the wires for the brakes and blinkers, and off we go, with Journey in the backseat all excited about going on a trip. It takes about 2 hours to get everything ready.

I still need a few things for the Ironman, but I'll get them in Florida, since we'll be camping across the street from everything Ironman. I figure I can get everything from goggles to socks there, or nearby.

Let's roll.

8 comments:

Vickie said...

Ellie! Best of luck! I'll be waiting and watching! Have a safe trip and a great race!

Kurt in Boston said...

You can do all that in 2 hours?! Now that's impressive!

Good luck, and safe traveling!

Fe-lady said...

Oh yeah baby! Let's ROCK and roll! Best of luck! I will be thinking of all of you on race day! Have tons of fun on the way also!

Cliff said...

So we have a Ellie-wannabe on IMFL :)

tri-mama said...

See, that number is cool just for sequential reasons-but I like the Esau quote as well-gets me thinking...

Anonymous said...

Great number! I look forward to racing with you.

Stay tuned...

TriDaddy said...

Good luck! See you there!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Go Ellie Go!!!