Friday, December 30, 2005

18 MILES DOWN! (Made my hair frizz??)


We got it done.

Actually I felt good till about 11 miles, which is about 3 miles longer than I usually feel good. I was doing 6/2 intervals which no doubt explains the improvement. Time was not good, though... 4:14:20. That's a long time for 18 miles. Maybe I ran more. I did a couple double-backs and detours to be sure I got in 18.

WOW! I just measured it here, and it was almost 20 miles... 19.88. No wonder it took longer.

Journey was happy to take walk breaks by the time I started tiring, but she had worn herself out with side trips after gophers etc. when I let her off the leash on an untrafficked road. I told her she was just running farther doing those but she didn't listen.

I took the 70-oz Camelback but we were out of water the last 5 miles, with both of us drinking from it. I went through a whole 5-0z flask of homemade honey gel (I've been modifying it till it's probably 3/4 honey and 1/4 corn syrup.) I wished I'd taken a packet of peanut butter crackers, or a bag of chips. I was hungry. I took a salt capsule every 1/2 hour.

I'm glad I didn't have another 8 miles to go.

So after running I drank a bunch of OJ and lemonade and, my favorite, plain seltzer water, then cooked dinner (pork chops, brown rice, baked apples), then.... my most weirdest post-long-run activity ever.... put a home perm in my hair.

I'll have to get used to it before I have the nerve to post a picture. It's way curlier than I'd expected. Glad I didn't use the "hard-to-wave-hair" instructions. You're not supposed to wash it right away but I'm considering it, to calm it down some.

Journey has been sacked out beside the sofa for hours. Wonder what she'd do if I said, "Wanna run?" Naw, I couldn't do that to her. She wouldn't get the joke. I gave her an aspirin, since I took some myself.

2 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Congrats, girl! I wish I coulda done that today!

:) said...

Woohoo...awesome run!!!