Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SUMMERSPRING RUN

Wow. Today I ran my long run on the same route as last week's Winterspring Run.
Today I'm calling it "Summerspring Run."

Nearly 50* warmer than on this day last week. 75*F today.





No snow falling. None left on the ground. Winter-dried grass, in a few places blackened from fires started by trains yesterday. Homes were endangered but not harmed.



Last week, daffodil leaves poked through the snow. Today, the daffodils are blooming.



Last week, I heard robins and redwing blackbirds. Today, added to those lovely songs were the songs of spring peepers. Now, THAT is a song I love hearing.





Last week, Journey cavorted through the roadside snow. Today, she swam in cold farm ponds to cool off.



Last week, people were shoveling their driveways. Today, they were plowing their fields.



Last week, I ran fast to get home out of the cold sooner. Today I ran slowly so as no to overheat in the unaccustomed summer temperature.

Last week, I finished my run covered with snow. Today, I finished covered with salt from my sweat.



Last week our bathroom pipes were frozen and I walked to the bath house for a long hot shower to get warm. Today, a shower only lukewarm to cool down.




Last week, I came home to a home fragrant with the stomach-warming spicy chili cooking in the crockpot. Today, hamburgers and potato salad and cold beer.



Last week, 12 miles, or a little less, just under 2 hours. Today, 14 miles, almost 2 and a half hours.
Both with the same afterglow.... tired, hungry, happy.
This is amazing.












4 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for continuing to take us with you on the runs! The end of winter, and COLD beer... doesn't get much better than that! :)

Vickie said...

Nice comparisons. Its amazing the difference in a week.

Linda said...

We're stil in the winterspring season. What a difference living south has as opposed to north and even from one day to the next.

Downhillnut said...

I loved this post. The contrasts in the weeks, and how you backed up so well with the photos.