Thursday, March 29, 2007

EVER FEEL REALLY DISCOURAGED?


What a crappy run today. 16 miles, and I walked miles 12, 15 and 16. Does it count as a 16-mile run if you walked 3 of the miles?
I think if it had been a marathon and I'd felt like this at miles 15 and 16, I'd have DNF'd. I don't LOOK like I gained a hundred pounds in the last few days but I must have; I sure felt like it.

This is the point in marathon training when I think, "And just WHY is it that I'm doing this? I seem to have forgotten."

And I think, whatever made me think this was a good idea? Oh, yeah, I remember, I thought a marathon would be fun. Again. Shucks, I've only run 22 of them, I can't be expected to remember what it feels like.

Except I'm thinking, I usually feel like this around the time that my long run gets to 16 miles. Seems to me I feel better on the 18 and 20-miler. I think. I don't keep good records so I can't go back and look, but I'm thinking, after doing this 22 times, I've got a vague recollection that 16 miles sucks worse than any other distance for me.

At least I hope it does. I sure don't want 18 and 20 to be worse.

And I don't even want to think about 26.2 right now....

3 comments:

Downhillnut said...

Yes, you always feel this way at this point in in your M-training. I remember, because when I felt this way last year at this point in MY training, I consoled myself with the memory that Ellie always feels this way here, and SHE always makes it through...

The next ones will be better. Or they won't. But you'll still make them work.

:)

Ellie Hamilton said...

Gosh, Karen..... what a WONDERFUL comment! This really helps!!! If YOU got through it remembering that I get through it, then I can get through it remembering YOU got through it!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Don't worry about one "bad" run. Everyone has them, me too. If you have 2-3-4 in a row, then you might want to see if something might be causing them.

Hope your next long run goes better!