Monday, January 09, 2006

YEAR'S FIRST SWIM


Wow, coming the day after the year's first run.... I'm totally on a roll.

Until you consider that it was January 8 before my year's first run.

Today I really wanted to do laps with measureable yardage, rather than that stationary rope-treadmill I invented for the splash pool here, so I went up to my mother-in-law's RV park, measured the pool at 20 yards long, and got in. 40 minutes, my watch set for 10-minute intervals, and I changed strokes each interval. Breast, Free, Back, Free. First time ever with bilateral breathing the whole time. At first I thought I was drowning but after a while I started to get the hang of it. My shoulder, which has given me grief since ChesapeakeMan, wasn't nearly as tricky when I breathed to both sides rather than just one.

Oh, wow... I had multiplied 20 yards by 33 laps and come up with 660 yards, but I forgot each lap was out-and-back, 40 yards... so that makes 1320 yards. Wow, that sounds better, for 40 minutes. That's much closer to my usual 45-50 min/mile pace. Don't ask me my 100-yd pace. Too much math...

3 comments:

Cliff said...

You did bilateral breathing while doing breast? Impressive :)

I just did 150 m free today, non stop. Oh I am so happy.

Ellie Hamilton said...

LOL!!! I didn't catch that!! No, just during my freestyle, smarty...

Nice job on your non-stop 150m. Way to go.

Dianne W. said...

So did my swimming class inspire you?? Can't let Dianne get ahead when she's training for sprint tris, not IM!