Monday, February 13, 2006

THE PAT-AND-ELLIE CENTURY



Well, we set out to do maybe 85 miles, which would have been 10 miles farther than last week's ride (which was supposed to be 60 but ended up 75.) Now, when I set out alone to do a certain distance, I go out half of that distance and then turn around. But Pat has this way of saying, "I know what, let's turn down this road here and that will take us out to Wherever, and if we go south from there we'll pick up Route 9,592 which will bring us to Some Other Little Place and then back to..." You get the idea.

When we got back to Pat's place, my odometer read 98.6. (That probably means something significant, like, we're "normal" or something.) Just as I got to our trailer, it turned over to 99.0. My husband and the neighbors harassed me to go do another mile to make it 100, so of course I did.

Moving time was 7:18. We didn't travel fast, obviously. Total time was 9:30. She changed a flat, I adjusted my seat angle, we took pit stops, my shoe cleat came loose and I had to fix it, we bought more Gatorade, I fixed my seat again, etc., etc. I think I have my seat right now :-)

Hey, for our very own Century, minus the course support, we did good. Some guy driving an SUV pulling a boat honked a "shave-and-a-haircut" rhythm at us and we wondered whether he thought we were cute chicks or gutsy grandmas. Pat, by the way, is the GREAT-grandmother of an almost-2-yr-old.

And she very nearly rides me into the ground.

I'm taking the rest of the week very light. I'm running a half-marathon on Sunday....

9 comments:

:) said...

Awesome...way to go Ellie!

Kranky C Dale said...

great job... it is good that you have a friend that can go with you

K

Vickie said...

Ellie, you're awesome! Now even if you find any bike out there for me to ride when I visit, I won't be able to keep up with you for 5 minutes! Unless you ride a 3 wheeler or something. See you soon! You will be so ready for IMFL.

Anonymous said...

Cool! A century today, a half marathon this weekend. Yeah, take it easy this week ;)

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Wow. Sounds like a great day. Take it easy until that half marathon.

E-Speed said...

whoa. You are amazing! I hope to get my first century ride in this summer. But I will b happy if I get any rides in over 50!

Happy V-Day to you and your hubby!

Comm's said...

I am very impressed ellie. "shave and a haircut' love it..my mind immediately tuned the song in. What a memory.

When are we going to hook up for coffee?

Flo said...

Awesome Ellie!!! I have never done a century. It's one of those things that hang out there and taunt me, so I am very impressed.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Great ride. Good luck with your race on the weekend and happy Valentines.