Friday, April 13, 2007

18 MILES DONE -- CHECK!

Yay, got it done yesterday.

I figured out why I was anticipating it with anxiety and a bit of dread, worried about my food, and all. It was because the 16-miler I did 2 weeks ago sucked so bad. I wanted to avoid that.

Well, I avoided it, by one unidentified precaution or another, or maybe just by luck of the draw. It wasn't awful. It wasn't great. It was just sort of routine, with a little stiffness and mild pain the last few miles in the various tendons and such that have bothered me all winter. I wasn't even getting all that tired -- just a little stiff and sore. And I thought, when I finished, that of course I was glad not to have another 8.2, but if I'd had them ahead of me, I could have run them.

I also thought -- GACKKK!!!! -- suppose it were another 32 miles ahead? Nope, wouldn't have made that. Not this week. Or next. But I've got till the end of July. That's 15 weeks.

Yeah, I really think I am agoing to head out on this voyage -- the 50-mile option at the Great Cranberry Ultramarathons on July 29. What the hell, why not? I want to see what an ultra is like, and maybe go that route more than once, in my life, and I'm not getting any younger.

Today, I'm tired; my ankle is achey, although I have not had an ankle injury. It's the same foot as my bothersome Achilles, probably related to that, I changed my foot position or something. And I have a sore knee, although I have not had a knee injury. Just something not quite right on the medial side, can't quite put my finger on it but it hurts a little. I am not getting any younger.

But I had great socks, finally.
Balega Enduro's. Soft, smooth, no toe seams, just enough cushioning. They have that fluffy stuff inside, kind of like soft terry cloth, that nearly all socks have and that puts blisters in my arches, for which reason, along with toe seams, I always wear my socks inside out. Well, as I said, these are seamless (hand-locked toe joining) and I threw caution to the wind and wore them with the fluffy side inside and -- no blisters, not even a hot spot. Whether they stay non-blister-inducing after multiple wearings and washings remains to be seen, but my feet, despite their aches, had happy skin!

6 comments:

Flo said...

I've been using those socks for 1 1/2 years and just loved them to death. 2 weeks ago on a 6 mile run they caused a blister. Now I'm afraid of them. Not good to be scared of your socks :)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Congrats! There's something magical about a long run that goes right. Thanks for the tip about the socks. I'll check them out!

Tammy said...

You're gonna do an Ultra?? Wow! So cool. I just read Dean's book - have you read it? It was very inspiring.

Long time no see... hope all is well in your world, and that we run into each other again.

Vickie said...

Good job getting it done! Now you can put that behind you and move on to the next run. Sometimes that's what you need to do. Just put behind you what's done and look forward to what's to come.

UltraMamaC said...

WTG to on the long run! especially after such a disappointing 16-miler. I love my injinini socks, but I save them for races only; the rest of the time I wear my other socks inside out, too!

Adelyn said...

Great job on making it through that run and congrats on the decision to train for an ultra :) I'd like to move up to the 50 miler distance, too, but I just wanted to work my way up. Sounds like you're already quite experienced in endurance events though (re:ironman) so this seems like the perfect step for you. Enjoy the training!