Sunday, August 20, 2006

BR_CK

That's a brick that's missing the middle part. My bike is in the shop getting some adjustments.

I swam for an hour (2400 yds) and then ran 8 miles (1:22, negative split by about 45 seconds).

I felt wonderful.

I can't believe how much difference it makes for me to train only every other day. And today's double workout came after 2 days off. I can go faster and farther than when I'm struggling to keep up with shorter ones 6 days a week.

It's not traditional for IM training; but it works better for this Ironwoman.

Suppose I do 2 hours, 2 or 3 days a week -- that's 4-6 hours. Add a 4-6-hour session once a week and that's 8 - 12 hours. It still comes out to an acceptable number of hours per week. Although I will say I've always been skeptical of the value of a certain number of hours or miles per week. I think the body covers distance based on how much can be done at a time, not how much is done in a week. This has always been what's worked for me with marathon-training, too. 3 runs a week including my long one is about my max. A 30-mile week is a rarity. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I'm feeling way better and training way better with a rest day every other day. Came home to a recovery meal of "Two all-soy patties, special sauce, tomatoes, salt, lettuce, onions on two whole-wheat buns." Not precisely a Big Mac but it hit the spot and had that supposedly-ideal 4/1 carb/protein ratio. Plus it tasted good.

I feel great.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Ellie, I think I'm with you on this less is more training theory. Could it just be we're that much older than most of those out there training?? I'd like to hope so. Just wait 'til they get this age.

Cliff said...

that big mac sounds good ;)

Rachel said...

I think you might be onto something. Maybe I should try it.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Rachel -- you mean the training or the burger? :-)