Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TRAIL FOOD DETAILS

Just in case anyone is wondering what I eat..... ^O^||3 eat

Breakfast -- has been oatmeal with brown sugar, whole milk (from powdered, Nido brand), and coffee. A couple of days I crumbled half a Little Debbie cherry pie into the oatmeal, which was really good, but pies are heavy to carry. I'm going to switch to cold breakfasts to save fuel and time. Rice Krispie bar, milk, and dried fruit. I have dates, apricots, and pineapple. Rite Aid has boxes of it, easily 4 servings each, for 90 cents, and with my Wellness Card points from last year I get 20% off. Deal!

Lunch -- 1/4 block of cheddar cheese and half of a Dollar Store summer sausage, or individual vacuum pouch of Spam. About 20g protein.

Snacks (2, morning and afternoon) -- Payday candy bar (7g protein, doesn't melt.) Packet of peanut MM's, 5g protein, melts in your mouth, not in your day pouch.

Supper --One of my dehydrated home-cooked meals, or rice mix with beans, dehydrated chicken, or cheese. Usually 15-20g protein. I love my meals. I made a triple batch of chili, 24 servings, which translates to 12 double ones, one a week. I ran it through the food processor after cooking for smaller pieces, and again after dehydrating. It's not powder, still chunky, but rehydrates and cooks easily. 1/4 pound extra-lean ground beef per serving, plus the beans. Rice mixes (Lipton Sides) are mixed with dehydrated canned chicken, one of those little Swanson's cans per meal.  It dehydrates and reconstitutes really well. I have each can bagged with about 1/3 bag of frozen broccoli, dehydrated and blended for tiny pieces. It's great in the rice mixes. Then there's corn chowder. Dehydrated corn is undistinguishable from fresh when cooked. I add Nido milk powder, instant cheese-and-onion mashed potatoes, bacon bits, olive oil. Yum. I also have a vegetable-rice-bean stew, and a bean-tomato soup. I add a good-sized pour of olive oil to just about everything. When I see everyone's Ramen noodles, I'm glad I took the time to dehydrate.

I have extra MM's for filling the void while waiting for supper to cook, or to graze on while packing up in the mornings. Another lunch I'll go to soon for variety is peanut butter dipped up with Fritos Scoops. As on my previous long hike, I'm making it with hardly any wheat. There's a little pasta in the rice mixes, but that's all. Guts are doing well!!

Water -- I drink every half hour by the clock, 5 good swallows on a regular day, 6-8 if hot. This keeps me hydrated without making me have to pee all the time, and also helps keep track of my distance: at 2 mph, one drink on the half-hour = roughly a mile. Late in the day I know the shelter is 4 drinks away, then 3, then 2, then soon after the last drink or, if I'm lucky, even before. 

I have lost 3 pounds in the past week. I started with 20 extra, by laziness and gluttony, not by planning, and while it gives me a safety net against the extreme loss I experienced on my first hike, I think it has also contributed to my fatigue and leg-and-foot pain. So while it may be good to have it, I'm glad it's dropping fairly fast.


No comments: