Tuesday, January 08, 2008

WHAT IS SCIENCE?

In her comment on my post "I Misunderstood," Nancy gave a link to the NAS recommendation that public school science classes focus on evolution as the basis of modern biology, and exclude references to a Creator or a pattern of "intelligent design."

Although I am a Christian, and a fairly right-wing one, too, I happen to agree, pretty much in line with this rationale from the recommendation:

"The report stated that the idea of evolution can be fully compatible with religious faith. 'Science and religion are different ways of understanding the world. Needlessly placing them in opposition reduces the potential of each to contribute to a better future', said the report."

This is in line with what I said a couple posts back about trying to prove God's power, or existence, scientifically..... it can't be done in quanitifiable, measurable terms(although I personally feel that the the evolution of the natural world is its own evidence of God and of His power.)

"... teaching creationist ideas in science classes confuses students about what constitutes science and what does not, according to the report's authors."

This works for me, too. Render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's.

Science is science and religion is religion, and although I find each in the other and believe each enhances and explains the other, not everyone wants to mix them, and I would never presume to present my view as absolute truth. I'd get arguments even from my own church.

No comments: