Monday, July 06, 2009

ONE WEEK LATER

I'm finally unpacking my backpack. This makes it official: it's over. I haven't been able to bring myself to do it till now.

Tent is set up outside airing out, sleeping bag and liner are in the hamper, rain pants in the closet, various accoutrements where the various accoutrements go (or in the trash), "everything dress" (nightgown, camp dress, town dress, laundry-day dress, even church dress, purchased for $1 at a yard sale in Damascus, VA) is hand-washed and hanging to drip dry, and I guess the pack will go in the big bin with my unused dehydrated food and other supplies. Maybe I'll store it in Jon or Jamie's freezer, rather than eating it up over the summer as I'd planned. It'll be that much less to dehydrate for next year (or whenever.)

Thank you so much to all who have been following my journey and offered their support, encouragement, and congratulations. I'll be getting to you all individually... stay tuned, waiting with baited breath!

I have a lot of catching up to do, blog-wise, on unfoldings between "The Last Night" and now. I've been in the water, on my bike, and in my running shoes (transitioning v-e-r-y carefully from hiking to running and listening carefully to my tendons. Up to 5 minutes of running now!!) I have also been to church with my mother, to the local 4th of July "Homecoming" parade and picnic, to our son's birthday dinner, and especially have been with our two youngest granddaughters catching up with them. Abbie wants to monopolize me, which isn't difficult as Sarah (13 months) doesn't even KNOW me and only fraternizes with me as a last resort if her parents, grandpa, or other grandparents aren't available.

~Sigh~

3 comments:

Evie in WV said...

I haven't commented often but I've been following. It's just been amazing and inspiring.

Now I'm excited to follow the training for SavageMan.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!

Following your journey has been amazing. You've been so generous in sharing the highs and lows, the good, the bad, and the ugly. If I ever undertake such an adventure myself, I'll now have a much better idea what I'm heading into.

I'm looking forward now to following your tri training!

E-Speed said...

I am so amazed at your journey. I think you definitely made the right decision. With that much weight loss and having to take all those meds just to be comfortable I can't imagine pushing on. Someday I hope to hike the AT too, but I think I will have to break it up into much more than 2 trips. Hope your savageman training goes well and that you get back out on the trail next year!