Monday, June 29, 2009

6/18

Waynesboro, VA
miles done:852.5
miles to go:1325.8 - 1330.8 depending on source of info.

I can't keep up the stream of thought journal. It's too much for me to write, too much for Avery to type, too much for anyone to read.
I lost Young Scott. Just couldn't keep up with a man 1/2 my age. :) Silly to try. I've hiked alone and with others, passed them or been passed and been alone again. Last couple days I've been with Jim Dandy, who hikes Young scott's miles but at my pace. We'll see how long it lasts. Actually I could go faster but what's the point, if the days endpoint is the same, and we're there so one of us can help if the other gets hurt?
I've had beautiful days and horrible days. Yesterday was the "second worst"- cold, raining, windy, I had really painful blisters. Not sure about these new boots. My worst day, I wrote in the register at the shelter (maybe 5 days ago) "I can't go on like this. I'm miserable. I want to go home and train for the triathlon my friends are training for."
I have this signature:
momsig2.jpg
That day I signed
momsig3.jpg

A lot of people the next day asked if I was really okay. I was, after a night's sleep, despite rain during the night that required an hour's cleanup before I could load and go.
Off now for a real lunch. I've lost 18.5 pounds, down now to 111.5 according to the scale at the YMCA.
I'll try real hard to record each day's mileage, weather, companions, and highlights like seeing a scarlet tanager. Thanks for reading - I'm still in the game.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to, and love reading about your journey. Yours is the one blog I check almost every day. Seriously! I keep reading and hearing about the cool rainy weather in the east and you're often on my mind and in my prayers. Praying that you continue to have strength, endurance and joy in the journey.

Dee said...

You are doing awesome!! You can do this. Don't give up. We are all rooting for you. I am praying for you too.

ShirleyPerly said...

You lost 18.5 pounds? Wow, that sounds like a LOT for someone your size. Hope you're still feeling healthy & strong. Write whenever you can. I enjoy reading what's going on with you but don't want it to be an additional source of stress for you

Steve said...

18 pounds??
You aren't eating enough pizza in town!!
Seriously, that is a lot for a reasonably fit person to lose. Maybe back off the miles and load up in town more.
You still have 1325 miles to go.
Let me know when you come through central Pa, Duncannon.

Steve