Friday, June 20, 2008

ONE-HUNDRED-PUSHUP CHALLENGE!!


Hey, I found this on Jeff's blog: Six-week training program to 100 consecutive pushups!!!


I did my initial test today, with 15 successful good-form full-body pushups. At 55+, that puts me at Level 3 of 5 for starting. (Results were age-ranked but not differentiated by gender.)


This is something I can do instead of SavageMan training, and it will serve me well in hauling a backpack, when my feet get back to backpackability, as well as in just about everything else I do.


Fun! How many 56-year-old women can do 100 pushups??? Who else is in?

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Ok! Nice to see that you signed up.

Sounds like you're off to a really good start. Fifteen pushups - very impressive. Hate to say this, but I'm thinking there must be something wrong with your number keypad - you're 36, right? ;-)

Dee said...

I have read your blog, and you are quite inspirational. I wanted to read about women in their 50's doing triathlons. I have never done one, and I am not close right now. I started swimming and biking last summer. I haven't run in years. I will keep reading and maybe I will be encouraged by you. Thanks for sharing all your adventures and workouts.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I should give it a go since I'm in serious need of getting back in shape.

You may be thrilled to learn that it is physically more demanding for a woman to do the full body push-up than a man. My dil is in physical therapy and tests have shown that because most women have their center of gravity near/at the hips their body has to work much harder than a man who typically carries the bulk of weight in the chest area. Simple physics! So a woman who does 15 full body push-ups is much stronger than a man who does 15.

I only did 7. :-( Humbling for someone who as a 17 yo could do 75 under 1 minute!

Jade Lady said...

oh boy, I wish I could join u, but I don't have the strength to do ONE pushup. I just tried.

I used to be able to do 10 before my shoulder went awry. Well, I guess it's time to do some strengthening of my upper body, but maybe not this challenge.