Tuesday, August 28, 2007

NO PICTURES, NO PARTY...

.... but on Sunday Steve and I celebrated (sort of) our 35th wedding anniversary.

I should say "observed" rather than "celebrated," maybe, because in the morning we observed that it was our anniversary, kissed briefly, and headed out the door for our day's work at the campground. We did spend a couple enjoyable hours together in the afternoon as we were both assigned to restroom-cleaning.

And in a way, that was a relevant way to observe it. Not restroom-cleaning, specifically, but just doing what we do every day, since being married is what we do every day, and what we do every day is the stuff being married for 35 years is made of.

As I cleaned rental cabins with my campground manager, she congratulated me on our long marriage, and she asked me what advice I had for other couples. I hadn't really thought about that, and had no particular pearls of wisdom to dispense. She asked, "Well, how have you stayed married for so long? There must be some secret you can share."

All I could think of was.... just keep putting one foot in front of the other. So I said that, along with, "I guess a variation of that is -- take one day at a time."

"After 35 years that's all you can say?" she exclaimed. "Put one foot in front of the other? One day at a time?"

Yup, that's about it. All those steps and all those days add up to a long, long journey. All those steps and all those days are what keep us on the trail.

3 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Your words are wiser than she gives you credit for. How else can you get anywhere, but one step at a time? That, and being committed to the journey.

Congratulations!

Linda said...

Tomorrow is our 30th wedding anniversary and we'll probably pass it much the same as you did and we did it by just taking it a day at I time, a sstep at a time. Happy anniversary!

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on your 35th anniversary! Haven't taken nearly as many steps as you and your husband have but on the right track, I think :-)