Saturday, July 22, 2006

THE RACE THAT WASN'T


~Sigh~
We came. We saw. We conquered.
Or we were ready to.
We conquered our fear of the open, murky water in the Delaware Bay, did a practice swim, felt great, were all ready to go in the morning.
Then we got thunderstorms.
They cancelled it.
So Nancy and I drove back to St. Michaels. Or rather, Nancy did... I just rode. And we stopped at her YMCA and did our own aquathlon. 5K run on the treadmill, followed by a 1/2-mile swim in the pool.

Actually that was a lot of fun and a really good workout. I thought I simulated a real 5K race effort, but Nancy says I was talking too comfortably to be working hard. Hmph. After I was done I felt I could have done more.... Nancy says I wasn't working hard enough.... Hmph. But she beat me in the swim. So we're even.

If we went to Delaware, swam in the Delaware Bay, showed up for the race on race morning, then went and did the distances of the cancelled race on our own somewhere else, I think we can honestly wear the shirts. Which we were given, in case we can't come back for the rain date. It will be pretty much out of the question for me. But Nancy and I planned to do the race together, and we did the race together --- just not in Lewes, DE!!













Parking lot before the "race" -- "What if they gave a race and nobody came?"



















Nancy alone where there should be a couple hundred swimmers

At least we didn't have to swim with these guys... although actually it's very pretty, if you forget that it's slimy and can sting. But they're not as stingy as the Chesapeake Bay sea nettles.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Good job to the both of you for making up your own aquathon! I would have probably stopped to get some ice cream and went home to watch tv!