Tuesday, January 05, 2010

MORE ON FOOD AND EATING

First off, I'm just plain addicted to eating. It doesn't even have to be anything I like. My husband bought butterscotch-ripple ice cream b/c he knows I don't like butterscotch. I ate it anyway. (Butterscotch is one of maybe 5 tastes I really do not like. Others are: okra, hard-cooked egg yolks, liver, wasabi.)

I don't have to be hungry either. I can be not-hungry and still eat something I don't even like just to be eating.

My mother, whom I dearly love, used to make me eat things I didn't like so that maybe I'd "learn" to like it. Mostly, I did, with the result that I now eat anything that's not nailed down, whether I like it or not.

While I was hiking, I couldn't eat enough. I was ALWAYS hungry and trying to eat ENOUGH and still lost 20 pounds. I've read that rebound weight-gain is a common problem for long-distance hikers. I thought I could keep it from happening to me :-(

I'm watching "Biggest Loser" as I write this. Maybe I'm petty to quibble about 10 or 12 pounds. But I hate the way I look in mirrors, of which there are plenty at the gym where I work and in my mother's house. They're a constant reminder, but they don't keep me from eating myself silly.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh how I can identify. I guess it would take a lifetime to analyze it.

One of the winners of "Biggest Loser", Erik, has gained half the weight back that he lost. I think he lost someting like 215 lbs.

He finally admitted it by appearing on Oprah and now Dicovery Channel has a new show starting tonight. From what I've read it will go more in depth to the psych side of it as he goes through the process again.

"Confessions of a Reality Show Loser" on January 6, 2010 @ 9 PM (E/P). I guess that's 8 pm for you.