Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I SHOULD EAT LIKE THE SLOTH


At the work-camping facility where we're working (in addition to both our outside jobs, Steve as an RV repairman and me at the daycare center), there are exotic pets. Several days a week, it's my job to feed them.

I wish I'd already taken pictures of them, but I haven't yet. I'll have to lift some from the internet.

We have a small herd of capybaras, including 3 babies less than a week old,
and, of all things, living in an atrium, a two-toed sloth (picture above.)
These critters are spoiled rotten.
The capy's, 3 males and 2 females are named Bob, Bob, Bob, Daisy, and Daisy. The new babies aren't named yet.
The sloth is named..... Her Majesty.
Twice a day, Her Majesty gets:
3 baby carrots, sliced in half lengthwise
1/2 apple, cut into thin strips
1/4 cucumber, cut into thin strips
1/4 zucchini, cut into thin strips
1/4 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
4-5 thin strips raw sweet potat0
2 thin strips acorn squash
2 thin strips pumpkin
2-3 thin strips hard pear
2 thin slices mango
If I would eat that twice a day, I'd be totally healthy and have no weight problem, I'm sure.
The capybaras get, divided among the 5 adults (the babies haven't been factored in yet, they're still nursing and the mom keeps them more or less sequestered from the herd, foraging):
One large bunch leaf lettuce
One large head cabbage
2 ears fresh corn (which I only buy for Steve and myself when it's 5/$1)
1 stalk broccoli
1.5 apples (the other half goes to a couple of dwarf goats)
1 carrot
Steve and I do not eat that well in terms of fresh produce.
We should. The other day, I thought, I like mangoes, and I never buy them because they're expensive. But that damned sloth gets them, and I decided, what the hell, I'm buying myself a mango. It was damn good, too.

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

How funny to hear that those critters eat so healthy. We humans can learn a lot, I suppose. Is a sloth really as slow as they say? I'd like to race one ;-)